Centrally maintaining data structures and content is a difficult thing to do, and there really isn't a complete solution for Drupal (yet!). Central Things Manager is a module I've developed that attempts to do just that.
The key aims of this module:
- Export & import Content Types and Taxonomies
- Export of content created using central Content Types
- Import of central content using shared vocabularies
- Direct export/import to a Triplestore in RDF format
- I love RDF. It's an elegant and powerful way of describing things.
- I also love AllegroGraph. It's an extremely well performing and capable TripleStore.
This module is a work in progress and not yet ready for public consumption. The current feature list:
- Support for all core Field types, plus several popular contrib modules
- Ability to rewrite Term & Entity references to local instances (i.e fix incorrectly mapped tid and target_ids)
- Rewrite of referenced images to full external URL (using Core Bridge & custom module)
- Support for Field Collections
- Support for Field Groups
- Allow for consumption of centrally published content using flexible filter-sets (dynamically generated SPARQL)
- Batched installs of large vocabularies
- Revisions for vocabularies (and even individual Terms)
- Automatic update of Content Types & Vocabs on consuming sites
- Automatic update of consumed content when updates occur on original content
- Removal of consumed content when unpublished or removed from origin site
- Allow for forked, locally overridden content